Monday, December 23, 2013

In the THICK of it...I HATE NAP TIME!

     I like to post in the middle of a life issue.  I want you as my reader to know we are in this together.  This journey of loving Jesus, and that affecting everything we do in a day.  My days are filled with the blessed challenge of raising 3 extremely different individuals. I have Troy (almost 6), far beyond his years in some area's and very much a 6 year old little boy in all the rest.  As my parenting began with him I thought I was just an amazing Mom.  Which feed right into my pride perfectly since being considered a "good Mom" was a giant idol in my life.  After having Bear (now 4) who from the begging bucked almost every instruction given with out an ouch of care or repentance I realized much of my "parenting success" had more to do with my first born's innate desire to please.  My last dissuasion was thinking you could only get one strong willed child in a family.  Well, then came Abigail (2yrs. old).  We have referred to her as "she Bear" she has been stubborn like Bear but has this whole new set of emotions that I have never experienced in a child before. 
     Abigail has currently (during nap) gotten out of bed 3 times, hurt herself twice, had many pop pops and is now singing happy birthday.  She hasn't taken a nap in 4 days.  My first kid still takes naps at age 6.  Nap time challenges me. I find myself angry everyday. 
     I finally stopped today and asked the Lord what gives.  I hate nap time.  I don't like my children right now.  All I want to do is take an hour to do whatever I want with out being interrupted.  He was gentle but straight to the point. (which is why I have waited 4 days to talk to Him about it because I had a feeling He wasn't going to change my kids, but reveal something to me about me! Yay boo! But mostly yay cause I really do want to grow.)  So here it is. 
     Nap time isn't going to last forever.  Some day they will be awake all day. My expectations are getting me in trouble again.  It isn't to much to expect to wake up drink something hot, get in the word be filled with Him so that I can spend my ENTIRE day serving others.  That is a good life, well spent and full of blessing.  He also brought to mind the thought I have been thinking this Christmas season.  I realized I have made Troy our oldest, a kind of the standard that I measure the other two up against.  I trust I am not the only Mom who has done this.  I was thinking about the Mom, Mary.  Her first experience with raising a toddler was Jesus.  A perfect sinless toddler.  Right? I'm laughing too.  Cause as much as I would love to relate to that, I just can't! Imagine with me the whiplash in her day when #2 came along and his or her sin nature started showing up.  If she measured all her children next to Jesus they would have a miserable home!  

     God has been whispering to me to take each child one at a time all day long.  By "take" I mean train, show affection to, connect with, challenge, encourage, teach...individually.  I know this is parenting 101 but some where in being pregnant or nursing for 5 years straight I got into this habit of parenting that does not look like the Father.  I want to parent my kids the way God parents me.  He searches me and knows me. Doesn't compare me EVER to another.  He knows my laying down and my rising up. (Ps. 139)  I often have no clue how I am to parent each kid but the rad part is that you don't have to have your act together to be a "good Mom" you can just ask for wisdom one issue, or one day at a  time.
     In my furry  this afternoon I did finally stop and ask for wisdom.  I went into find Abigail under her mattress.  God whispered give her a reason to be still.  I genitally wrapped up here WaWa (stuffed puppy) in a baby blanket and quietly told Abi to please hold WaWa, that she hasn't taken a nap in 4 days and is so very tired.  I haven't heard a noise since.  Now does that mean it will work tomorrow...probably not but God has fresh new tricks and ideas for me for tomorrow.  I can trust Him for the wisdom and help I need tomorrow. 
     So there you have it.  I am in the thick of it.  I desire to parent my children as individuals. An ideal we planned on before having kids.  I know that God can teach me and that He will. 
     Happy parenting or being a wife or being a student or whatever you are doing today.  If you need wisdom.  Ask!  He loves to give it to us! 

JAMES 1

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
This me with my napless wonder! Abigail. 

Bear         Me         Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment