Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Being Thankful


     My Mother and Father in love, Steve and Robin O'Brien, have been a major part of my growth in Jesus this last year. We all experience difficult times together and healing. What they have that I want is maturity and they live it out. They struggle just like any other but at the end of the struggle they always choose Jesus and trusting Him. As a result they have so much of value to pour into others. I love that I get to be one of those others. My Father in love writes these emails that challenge and administer truth. If you want to be put on his list just message me your email. 
Grand Dad and Abi at Old Kentucky Christmas
Here is one of his emails that really encouraged me today. 

     It seems that in the times that we should be most thankful we tend to stress and and think about problems and what we are not able to do. it is in those times that we should be most committed to be thankful for what God not only has done but will be doing for us. I am sharing this thought with all of you to encourage you to approach this season looking at God and not what may be going on around you.

Being thankful when it makes no sense
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV)
Seems like a strange verse to apply to the topic of being thankful, but in this season of thanksgiving and with the challenges of daily life that we all face,  I believe it is very appropriate. Let’s be honest at times we all may struggle with believing that God is going to meet our needs. Especially when we are faced with financial challenges that are exhausting our resources, all the while being overwhelmed by our circumstances. But the fact is God has promised to meet our needs (Php. 4:19) and to be with us always (Ps.23:4; 118:6; Isa. 43:2).
What I have learned is that trusting God is not a passive state of thinking, but an active and intentional act of our soul to hold onto every promise of God. Living and doing life with the expectations of God following through on His promises to us (which means we need to know His Word).  I make it personal because God is personal to me and I know that I am significant to Him. It is because of the promises that God has given us to hold onto that we can be thankful giving thanks in all things (1 Thess. 5:18). The key thing that I have to remind myself of regularly is that God’s provision is based on His glory, His timing, and His plan not based on what I think nor limited by what I see around me. This means that the economy does not limit God. My bank account doesn’t limit God nor does anything else. If I am surrounded by nothing but rocks God can turn those stones to bread (Ps. 78:20).
We should always give thanks to God in all things, not because of our circumstances, but because God is with us and has a plan to meet our needs.

Live as you are BLESSED, even if you don't feel that way.
--
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment