Monday, November 5, 2012

TALK IT OUT


     During our 3's nap time on Sunday, Paul and I had a talk...we don't have a label for it but it was like a family business meeting. We just pray, and talk. We talk about everything there isn't time to talk about  in the week when he feels like he is going to pass out the moment he gets home. Finances, training our kids, schedule and so on. This was or first time having one of these talks on purpose. They were happening on date nights. 
     The last few dates Paul and I have been on have kind of gotten high jacked by me sharing a problem in the family goings on and Paul giving solutions and suggestions on how to handle it. I walk away from the date thinking, "Man! What a great Date." Last date Paul said, "I don't mind talking about these things but it would be nice to just have fun on our dates since we don't get very many." Oh right! Good idea...keep investment in our marriage top priority! I am all for that! So we are now going to try and have family business talks once a month and not on dates. The best part for me with these talks is they pull my perspective back. Its easy to get zoned in on all the little things in my mom/homemaker job and its good to remember the big picture. 
     I have been reading "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp. So many people have recommended it over the years and we are experiencing a new level of rebellion in our home so I finally got  a hold of a copy. It has been so encouraging. The truth's in the book are so basic and articulated so well. It has been good to read a few pages in the morning before our 3 wake an then have a more focused heart on living it out. You can know how you should parent all day long and that knowledge is not going to make it happen in the nitty gritty of the high stress moments. I read a few pages and ask the Lord to empower me.
     This was so good i just had to pass it on.
     "Recognizing that God has called you to function as His agent defines your task as a parent. Our culture has reduced parenting to providing care. Parents often see the task in these narrow terms. The child must have food, clothes, a bed, and some quality time. 
      In sharp contrast to such a weak view, God has called you to a more profound task than being only a care-provider. You shepherd your child in God's behalf. The task God has given you is not one that can be conveniently scheduled. It is a pervasive task. Training a shepherding are going on whenever you are with your children. Whether waking, walking talking or resting, you must be involved in helping your child to understand life, himself, and his needs from a biblical perspective (Deut. 6:6-7)."
     I love being a parent. Just love it. Bottom line is this, we as parents have the job of showing our kids who God is. This is a huge thought I take soberly. I am so thankful for my 3 crazies. I am even more thankful to be raising and training them with my Husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment