Thursday, November 22, 2012

STAY CALM


Happy Thanksgiving!
I made this sugar free apple pie for Grandad. 

My girlie dressed up by Dad.
   Heads up I was really sick when I wrote this so its has even worse grammar than usual! 

     I had such a great blessing on this day of giving thanks.  Well 2.  I am so sick with the stomach flu I have only eaten ice chips all day.  Not as tasty as the deep fried turkey I have been looking forward to. My first blessing is that my man got my baby girl dressed and put her in a dress and tights.  I just love it.
     The other blessing was a 10 min. Talk with my Mom and Dad at the same time uninterrupted on their end or mine! Paul was already gone with the 3 and Mom and Dad were in the car traveling to family.
I love cell phones and speaker phone!
      I was so encouraged by my Parents.  I shared stories with them of some of the struggles we are facing with our #2.  We have been consistent with correction and discipline. The goal is to train up with out getting angry and emotional towards him and this is actually much more difficult that
I imagined before I had kids.  "I'll never yell at my kids unless it has to do with danger." Blhahahahahahahahahahaahhaha!  Oops!  Not a realistic expectation.  Because I am human.  Let me paint a picture of a typical day around here.  P.S. if you don't have a strong kid of your own yet you may not relate, I am trusting that if you do you can relate and this story may make you feel a bit better and laugh.
     In one hour of our day last week.   We were in the garage, #1 was ridding his bike in circles and #2 was pushing around a very large truck.  Something happened that #2 got angry hurled the truck across the garage right into #1.  I have never seen someone so small throw something so large and so far!  I chose this time to give a long time out 30 min. in his bed.  I let him know when his time was up and asked him to come down stars so that we could do business.  "Business" is when we talk out what happened and why its not going to work.  As #2 got 2 steps from the floor were baby sister was sitting.  With out a thought #2 leaps through the air and lands on #3.   I of course sent him straight back up stairs.
I may have shared the hard of this one but there is just as much sweet and delightful!
     I often feel out of control with this precious son of mine.  I want so badly to fix the crazy behavior but so much more importantly there are heart issues to consider and pain old childishness.  I don't have all the answer on raising such a strong individual but I am learning the importance of staying calm.  When I fly off the handle at him I just exacerbated the situation and justify and distract him form his behavior.   God of course is our greatest example to fallow as parents and He never freaks out on me.   He is so calm with me and still firm on the standard He has set.  Swift with consiquences but always kind.  I think the reason I feel so out of control at times with my #2 is that I don't really deep down want to TRUST God with his life.  Ouch! Hello, bottom line.  I would like it more if I could do A B and get C.  That is the sin in formula!  Not trusting God.  My desire is to calm down.  When I am in the thick of the stress and crazy to keep the standard clear carry out consequences with out emotion and continue to sew the truth of God's love for my boy in to his heart and thinking.  I can't control if he will ever choose to be a wise man or a fool.  I only have control, self-control me, supplied by my sweet Holy Spirit to be more like the parent God is to me.
right before the car throwing!

4 comments:

  1. sorry you were sick! and sorry your family got it too :( hope everyone is doing better. I will be praying. Have you read To Train Up a Child? It is intense (probably would freak some people out) but I really like it. It is short, so its a quick read. I borrowed it from a friend - maybe I can find a copy and send it to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have! I liked it too! I just saw it again and thought i should give that one a read again. I think i read it when #1 was 9 months so there wasn't a ton of training! Good reminder girl!

      Delete
  2. Hey there, just an FYI, when you update your pages it doesn't come through on RSS readers as a new post. Does that make sense? It might not matter to you (which is fine since its your blog :) BUT some people only follow blogs using RSS readers that send them notifications when a new post has been written. Those people won't know you updated your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren how do I change that i have a lot of blog questions. i am just going for it but there are a few things i would love to change and don't know how to.

      Delete