Tuesday, January 29, 2013

HIS LITTLE ONES

     So this is by no means a new concept but man it hit me like a Mac Truck today.  I am a "co-steward" over our children.  Even typing out the that title makes me feel a little squirmy and out of the control I tend to love to dearly.  God is the creator of life.  God made our babies.  He hand picked them to be in our family.  He intends to use Paul and I know matter how broken and flawed we are to invest our very best understanding of Him into their little hearts.  I am sure He also plans to un-teach and redeem in the areas we have and will continue to screw up their thinking about who He is. 
    This morning my usually bouncy Abigail slept in.  I love it when she does that!  Finally around 8:30am. she began to stir but not sing or scream her usual.  I went in, turned the light on and fully expected her to pop up from snuggling her favorite crocheted blanket and either talk my ear off or make it clear that she was hungry.  Neither happened.  It was such a stark contrast to our everyday that its stopped me in my tracks.  It is a good thing I had just been studying 1 John 4:18 that speaks on fear and love and how there is torment in fear and that perfect love cast away fear.  I instantly thought what if she has cancer.  That may seem an extreme thought but I just read a blog (http://izzystory.com/) about an amazing Christian Mom and their journey with their little one having cancer.  So, back to my attention getting moment with Abi, she never did stand up. She didn't talk as I changed her or all through breakfast.  I was seriously concerned.  She ended up having a mellow day.  I was so strange.  Also, during lunch prep Bear fell off the stool (2 ft.) straight onto the back of his head, hitting the new tile floor.  I could feel the bump through the ice pack growing larger and larger as I comforted him.  I think they will both make it.  Resilient little things these kiddos! 
HIS HAYDEN BARUCH "BEAR" O'BRIEN

HIS CAITLYNN ABIGAIL O'BRIEN

HIS THEOPHILUS TROY O'BRIEN

     Our friend Heather came over to drop off what was the equivalent to Christmas morning at age 7!  That Christmas I got these kid work out tapes and leg warmers!  A CAMERA!!! That's what Heather brought, not leg warmers!  Abigail had just dunked our camera in the sink and Heather was so generous to give us one of hers!  As we were talking she touched on the subject of us not owning our kids and them belonging to God.  As she spoke this truth in our kitchen I realized I don't often acknowledge this truth. ( I mean of course their ours but first God's then ours.)  I am usually wrapped up in running their little lives.  Our desire is to glorify God in how we raise them but keeping this concept of ownership at the for front of my mind has already been relieving.  Its relieving because I sometimes get trapped in thinking that their behavior is a direct result of my success or failure as a parent.  This is actually not completely true.  There is a component forgotten in this train of thought.  God is at work.  I am called to to teach and train in truth and love but God is the changer of hearts.  When I remember that they are His first then I can rest easier.  I know my God, I know His great love and He is lavishing it on the little ones we get to guide for a season.  All we have to do is be faithful with this greatest of callings and the fruit, glory and out come can be trusted to the One who created them. 
      After today I have a deeper reverence and respect for the work that is God's to do in the hearts of the little ones I love most.  He is faithful, He calls us to parent faithfully. The fruit is to His glory and our enjoyment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment