Sunday, May 25, 2014

Fetch a Pail of Water

     I just wrote (Blog post "EMPTY") about this passage a few weeks ago as I was studying it on my own and then our Pastor taught on it today! RAD! 

John 2
On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.”
Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.”
His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.
Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece. Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it. When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. 10 And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”
11 This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.

      Jesus respectfully called His earthly mother, "Woman" signifying the shift in focus and ministry.  From her son to her Savior.  Mary's last recorded words in the Bible are beautiful and challenging all at the same time.  "Whatever He says to you, do it."  Often to put action to those words is to be uncomfortable. There was serious work to be done in filling those 6 pots.  Something like 180 gallons of water and at 8 lbs. a gallon they had their work cut out for them.  God didn't have to let them in on the work but if He didn't they wouldn't have been let in on the secret miracle that day either.  By God's grace He enjoys letting us in on His work.  To obey, may require us to do some mondain activities whether we feel like it or not.  Weather we can see the fruit of it swiftly or not!  AH, such a great message!  So the challenge was what is your water pot?  What do you need to do that looks ordinary and uncomfortable to be obedient? 
     I'll tell you what mine is.  Its stopping my agenda all day long and loving my kids.  Even thought I have 2 dishes left and I can be done with them. My pal of water is to stop and lead my child out of an emotional tantrum instead of yelling from across the room "get over it or get a consequence."  Its not being in a self-seeking mode but truly loving my family with out expectation of return.  
     There was a time of prayer after the service and there were wonderful prayers for the families of the fallen and marriage and so on and all I could think was, "I am so SHALLOW, I don't want to carry my pails of water!" 
     So, want to or not I have asked the Lord to help me and well up in me a joy in the "doing it."  I fully expect Him to say yes and empower me for the everyday tasked of being wife and mom. 
     What about you? Is there an ordinary, uncomfortable pal of water that you need to carry?  Is there something you know God is calling to?  I would echo the words of Mary and encourage you and myself today,

No comments:

Post a Comment