Wednesday, April 16, 2014

LOVE NEVER FAILS

   
     I have written those words on paper on canvas and now I believe God has written them deeper into my heart than ever before.  For about 2 1/2 weeks now the Lord has taken me through the darker corridors of my own heart.  It has been brutal.  I have been seeing my sin.  Things that maybe one else sees, maybe.  The one that has caught my particular attention and grieved me to the core is the sin of not loving others.  I mean I serve others all day long.  I'm a wife and a mom, a friend and a daughter so naturally there is ample opportunity to do for others but I have noticed a lack of love in doing so.  When I say love I mean the kind of love in 1 Cor. 13.  You know that chapter used in weddings and memorized by many.  The one I have kind of always glazed over in my life long familiarity with God's word.  A love that describes God's nature as He is love.  This love if manifested in our own lives might just change our entire human experience this side of heaven.  There is a blaring difference between God's love and my own.  A God kind of love has no EXPECTATION of RETURN.  This may sound super obvious but this week as I examined my actions and my heart motive behind them I was devastated to find that most often I truly am in it for my own benefit.
      Loving God's way is completely contrary to my own nature that I found its something that must be done ON PURPOSE.  For example, Love is patient. Patience is not required unless our agenda is being interrupted.  So then love handles interruption with patience or long suffering. I have never in my life suffered well for a long time ON ACCIDENT.  Love is not self-seeking again our human nature seeks it own with out even thinking about it.  Keeping no records of wrongs!  Sheesh, that's a good one.  So to love requires FORGIVENESS constantly.  I mean if I can't keep a single record then I have to let others off the hook even while they are offending or sinning against me! (Not that we don't set healthy boundaries. Forgiveness and healthy boundaries are two separated matters.)  Love ALWAYS TRUSTS! Always trusts who? The LORD!!!!
      This is my hope at the end of a revelation in my life that nearly devastated me.  Though it feels impossible to love like God loves us, it is possible.  This may be the greatest thing that Christ strengthens us for! (Phil.4:13)   If you have been sealed with the Holy Spirit you GET to love God's way.  It is a part of Him living in us.  A fruit of His Spirit if you will. (Gal. 5:22)  We can't make God's love happen through us.  It has to be that seed planted, germinated, growing strong and producing fruit. We grow in God's economy!  The Holy Spirit will work His love through us but we have to do our part.  In the past I thought my part was striving to act properly. Which of course is exhosting.  But you never see a fruit tree strive to produce fruit.  It happens naturally when the tree is healthy and it is the right season. (not saying there are seasons not to love just seasons of more maturity)
      So how do we grow a healthy tree?  Remember that we are the tree and not the Gardener for starters.  Stay planted in the rich soil of God's word, let the sun light of the Holy Spirits conviction grieve us at when we see our own sin.  When the light has exposed our darkness let Gardener draw near to comfort (Matt. 5:4).  Let Him tend to us and do the pruning necessary for maximum growth and fruit.  When we do pop out a little fruit again, remember who the Gardener is and without Him there would be no life at all.
     My prayer for myself and you dear reader, is that we would humble ourselves and love without expectation of a return. That we would enjoy the care of our gentle Gardener and continue to grow and bear fruit.

      LOVE NEVER FAILS. 


1 Cor. 13:4-8a

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

Gal. 5:22
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Matt. 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.

No comments:

Post a Comment